Thursday, July 29, 2010

Post Vacation Struggles and a Food Review

I have MIA for almost 2 weeks... The first was because I was on vacation and the second was because I suck! LOL

I have this problem you see... When I settle into a routine I'm set, it is really easy (OK, easier) to stick to my exercise plan. But when I get jostled out of my routine, I'm hooped!

I had a really great plan set up for my trip down to Oregon and I even ran my first run (a 5k in 35:25 which was my best 5k so far!). However it got suuuuper hot and I could not barely to even stand around in the heat much less run. It got up to 96 degrees toward the end of the trip even! That is hell for an Alaskan girl like me!

So it has taken me 4 days to get back on track since we got home. Today I finally got out for a run after 2 days of "I'm going to run today"..... "Nope I'm not"

I managed to run 3.1 miles with only 0.25 of it walking while I was in Oregon so I figure I could bump it up a bit now that I'm home. I decided to challenge myself to 3.5 miles today. Yeah... not so much! LOL I was much more fatigued by it than I expected. I'm not gonna lie, I did a LOT of walking. But I did it! That's what matters!

My pre-run snack :) A green smoothie (kale, mango, pineapple) and a banana
Photobucket
Photobucket

Now on to my food review.

One of my biggest reservations about trying to become vegan has always been cheese. I have been trying to find some vegan cheese to buy which was a struggle in my little town but I finally found some to try. I bought Follow Your Heart cheddar and mozzarella to try out.
Photobucket
Photobucket

So I decided to try it in burritos with mashed up pinto beans and avocado.


I tried the cheddar first and it smelled and tasted vomit-y.... No joke. It was so gross I threw the burrito straight in the trash after one bite.

I decided to try one without any vegan cheese and just with nutritional yeast. That was better. The next night I gave the mozzarella a try and it was really good! I loooooved it! I also tried sprinkling some nutritional yeast over the vegan mozzarella to make it more cheddar-y and that was good too!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm exactly the same way when it comes to routines. I'm going, going, going and then something happens and POOF it all goes to crap. Good for you getting back on track though.

    I'll have to see if I can find that cheese down here.

    ReplyDelete